Friday, 2 February 2007

100th birthday of Mrs. Malesh

Mrs. Victoria Malesh (nee Daneluk) on February 2, 2007 at the Union Hospital in Assiniboia, SK.

Family and friends of Mrs. Malesh, celebrating today her 100th birthday at the Union Hospital in Assiniboia, SK.
Parishioners, family and friends - from l. to r.:
Mrs. George Alexander Malesh (Betty), Father Waldemar (the parish priest), Mr. George Alexander Malesh, Mrs. George Bachiu (Irene), Mrs. Victoria Malesh (nee Daneluk), and Mrs. Anton Punga (Shirley).

Here are the two (2) articles about Mrs. Malesh and her family.

The following is the story of Mrs. Victoria Malesh, written by her daughter, Mrs. Eileen Hepworth, in the year 2003.

Victoria Malesh was born on February 14, 1907, in the village of Kleit, Bucovina, Austria. She was the eldest of 11 children, born of Theodore (Tom) and Elizabeth (Rosputnek) Daneluik.

They immigrated to Canada in 1909 when she was two years old. They went to Pilot Butte, Saskatchewan to live with her mother's sister, Mrs. Surdia. That same year they moved to Limerick, whereher father settled on their homestead at NE 19-7-23-3, situated five miles of Limerick.

Victoria attended Milton School. During her schooldays she often helped out at the home of the Oncescu family. In June 1991,she had the privilege of attending the Milton School Reunion, where she receiveda plaque for being the oldest student to attend, at the age of 84.

Victoria married Mike Malesh on June 3, 1923 when she was 16 years old. They were married at Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church in Flintoft, SK. They continued to attend this church for the years that they remained on the farm. This is where all their children were baptised. They took up residence on the farm a mile west of Stonehenge, on SE 1-7-2-3. Mike built a two-room shack, which had only the barest of necessities: a stove, a bed,table and chairs and small cupboard. They farmed with horses all through the depression years, both of them working hard with no conveniences as we know them today; as well having a baby every two years until they reached their family of ten. In January 1942, Mike passed away suddenly, leaving Victoria a widow at the age of 35. She remained on the farm with the assistance of her oldest son, Dan. Times improved somewhat and they were able to buy machinery, but the horses were still part of the farm. Some of the family still love their horses.

In April of 1956, she moved to Moose Jaw, where she was employed at the Providence Hospital as a cook's assistant. It was more hard work and long hours, especially early morning hours and not having a vehicle. She walked several blocks, rain or shine, and many mornings the police, while on patrol, would give her and a co-worker a ride to the hospital. She enjoyed her time in Moose Jaw until her retirement in 1972, at the age of 65. She enjoyed her retirement years taking up residence in a senior complex, and was finally persuaded to do some travelling to the family members in Vancouver, Eastern Canada and even visited her daughter, Laura, in California.

In May 1996, she had the misfortune of breaking her hip. She recovered somewhat but needed extra care, so much against her wishes, she had to leave Moose Jaw and move to the Pioneer Lodge in Assiniboia. She is presently a resident of the Ross Payant Nursing Home in Assiniboia.

In July of 2000, a family reunion was held in Jean Louis Legaare Park at Willow Bunch. Over 75 family members were able to attend. At theage of 96, in the year of 2003, she is in fairly good health; she is very aware of her surroundings, especially the staff att the nursing home, and all the family and friends who keep in touch. She is well informed of day-to-day events with radio, television, papers such as the Moose Jaw Times Herald, and the Assiniboia Times, as well as her phone.


The following is the family story of Mr. Mike Malesh and his wife Victoria, written by Terry Malesh.

Mike Malesh was born in Bucovina, Austria and came to Canada in 1911. He worked on the Parliament Buildings in Regina and then on a farm at Pilot Bute. He applied for a homestead on May 22, 1911 at Saint Walburg, SK.

In 1914, he moved to the Stonehenge District, where he resided until his death in 1942. He bought the SE 1-7-2-3- and built a two-room shack. For breaking the soil, he used three oxen, a horse and a sulky plough. He later bought another quarter of land, and sold the oxen and purchased six horses, with which he farmed for many years.

On June 3, 1923, he married Victoria Daneluk in the Orthodox Church at Flintoft. They had ten children: Eileen, Mrs. Henry Hepworth of Assiniboia, SK; Mary, Mrs. Moe Campbell of Regina, SK; Dan of Stonehenge, SK; Anne, Mrs. Jim White of Medicine Hat, SK; Laura of San Jose, CA; George of Assiniboia, SK; Marjorie, Mrs. Murle Johnson of Port Coquitlam, BC; Betty, Mrs. Ted Clarke of Calgary, AB; Pearl, Mrs. Wallace Markwart of Regina, SK; and Roamie of Calgary, AB.

The only furniture Mike had at the time of his marriage was a coal and wood stove, a small steel frame bed, a set of cupboards, and a table and chairs. The shack was not insulated and was freezing cold in the winter.

Seeding was done by hand the first few years that Mike farmed. Later, a small seed drill was purchased. This was used for several years. Summer fallow was done by horse-drawn ploughs. This was a slow and tedious job.

Harvest time was a very busy period. In the early years crops were cut with a binder and then stooked. Usually the whole family helped with stooking. After this came threshing time with big crews of hungry men to feed. The threshing machines were driven by steel-wheeled tractors. Stook were loaded into horse drawn racks and forked into the threshing machine. The grain was shovelled by hand.

The depression hit the family very hard; feed for the livestock was difficult to find and water was also a problem. Crops were seeded every year but barely enough for seed was harvested. In 1937 there was not enough grain harvested, so relief seed was brought in along with food, which consisted of dried fish, cheese, apples, and potatoes. Relief hey was brought into Stonehenge by rail, which was built in 1927. The tried to plant a garden every year, but very little grew. There was no way to irrigate and the blazing sun, and hot winds would parch everything. Russian thistle was stacked for feed in 1937. Also in 1937 a cow was sold for several dollars. This money was used to but coal from Paul Tarita's mine. A bull was sold for forty dollars and this money was used to buy the winter's supply of groceries. There was a grasshopper plague in 1937 also. In 1938 the crops were ruined by rust.

For entertainment the family played ball. Bats were made from fence posts. The children had a ball but no gloves. The girls went on to play ball in Assiniboia, and later Regina and Laura went to play professional softball in California.

Dan still farms the home place.

Wednesday, 24 January 2007

Other Orthodox Churches in the area

In Flintoft
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church (Romanian Episcopate, O.C.A.)
For Divine Service schedule and time, please call the Bachius at (306) 642-4928
In Wood Mountain
Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church (Romanian Patriarchate)
For Divine Service schedule and time, please call Shane at (306) 266-4227
In Elm Springs
Holy Ascension Orthodox Church (Romanian Patriarchate)
For Divine Service schedule and time, please call Shane at (306) 266-4227
In Moose Jaw
Saint Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Church
For Divine Service schedule and time, please call Martin at (306) 692-9594
In Regina
There are seven Orthodox Churches in Regina (Romanian, Serbian, and Ukrainian). Please check the following link:


Tuesday, 23 January 2007

Our Parish Church

general view of our parish church

icon of the parish feast (Descent of the Holy Spirit)
it is locateed in the Ikonostas, on the right

a cross behind the Holy Altar

parish women honoured after one of the Divine Services, on the International Day of Woman (March 8)

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

A short history of our parish, taken from "Heritage 85 - Town of Assiniboia"

On February 25, 1957, a meeting was held in Radu Motors office to decided on building a church in Assiniboia. [Mr.] John J. Radu was [the] President and [Mr.] Sam Cristo [the] Secretary. Attending the meeting were: [Mr.] John J. Radu, [Mr.] Sam Cristo, [Mr.] John Radu Sr., [Mr.] Paul Calimente, [Mr.] George Tarita, [Mr.] George Nicholson, [Mr.] Don Ciocia, [Mr.] Chris Jonescu, [Mr.] Bill Hysuick, [Mr.] John Bachiu, [Mr.] Simeon Strugar, [Mr.] Ted Oancia, [Mr.] John Costi, [Mr.] Ted Hysuick, and [Mr.] Bill Watamanuk.

It was decided by those present to start plans for a new church, which was to be affiliated with the Saints Peter and Paul Church at Flintoft.

The Committees of the Saints Peter and Paul, and [the] Descent of the Holy Ghost, held a meeting in the home of [Mr.] John J. Radu, to decide on a date for a general meeting of all members, to decide on building the new church in Assiniboia. It was decided to hold a general meeting on April 7 in the church hall at Flintoft.

At that meeting, [Mr.] Ted Oancia was [a] Chairman, and [Mr.] Bill Deminchuk [a] Secretary.

The church name was registered in Regina. Now, work could commence. A committee of seven people were elected to canvass for pledges. They were: [Mr.] Ted Oancia, [Mr.] John J. Radu, [Mr.] Nick Lucon, [Mr.] Sam Cristo, [Mr.] Radu Ciocia, [Mr.] Cris Tonita, and [Mr.] James Moldovan. It was decided to tender for bids in the Assiniboia Times, and the Moose Jaw paper.

At a general meting, held July 28, 1957, it was decided to build the church by volunteer help with [Mr.] Peter Thompson and [Mr.] Bob Breulich supervising and working along with the volunteer help. It was decided to begin hauling gravel and digging the basement starting August 1st.

The construction committee elected were: [Mr.] John Radu Sr., [Mr.] George Tarita, [Mr.] Paul Calimente, [Mr.] Chris Jonescu, [Mr.] John Nicholson, [Mr.] John Bachiu, [Mr.] Ted Oancis, [Mr.] Sam Cristo, [Mr.] Cosma Kiriak, and [Mr.] Steve Toma. The committee was empowered to pay bills and control spending.

The firrst annual meeting of the Descent of the Holy Ghost [Romanian Orthodox] Church was held January 23, 1958. In the same year, the church manse was moved-in from Flintoft.

Priest serving the parish were: the Reverend John Dinu, the Reverend V. Parvanescue, the Reverend J. Shunda, the Very Reverend Daniel Nenson (Dean of the Canadian Deanery of the Romanian Episcopate, O.C.A.), the Reverend Brendon O'Keefe, and the Reverend Gratian Radu.

The church has not had a resident priest for quite a few years now. The church is served two Sundays a month from the center of Regina. Some of the preists serving twice a month [were]: the Very Reverend Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici), the Very Reverend Daniel Nenson, andn the Reverend George Tuff.

Some of the other priests who served on a part-time basis were: the Reverend Peter Avram, the Reverend (?) Postelnic, the Reverend (?) Tofron, the Reverend Daniel Maxim, the Reverend John Toconita, and the Reverend Richard Grabowski.

Monday, 22 January 2007

Our Bishops

Our ruling bishop is:

His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman
of the Orthodox Church in America (O.C.A.)

Our diocesan bishop is:

His Eminence, Archbishop Nathaniel
of the Romanian Episcopate (O.C.A.)

and his assistant:

His Grace, Bishop Irineu
of the Romanian Episcopate (O.C.A.)